Oct 5, 2009

Cthulhu Cupcakes

Saturday was quite a fun and eventful day.

It was the day that some of the members of the Comic Stop Social Club got together to have a baby shower for Dr. Zoltar and his lovely assistant.

He (being a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft) and she (being very tolerant of his geeky ways) were given a "Cthulhu-themed" shower.

I wanted to bring something, as we are a bunch of snack-eating people, so I decided to make Cthulhu cupcakes.
I'd never made any before, so I did a quick Google search which directed me to here.
They were cute, but the Mt. Dew cupcake recipe is what really intrigued me about them.
This I had to try.

I should have started on Friday night, but instead I got started on Saturday morning.
It became apparent that I wouldn't have time to make the cupcake batter in the recipe but I could at least make the frosting.
So, going forward from there I got out my supplies and got busy.


The frosting recipe called for me to boil down the Mt. Dew and reduce it into more of a syrup to concentrate the flavor. So I did that while I started in on the cake batter.
I decided to use a white cake batter and just add food coloring to it.
I added a few drops of green food color and to add a little flavor I put in 2 teaspoons of lemon extract and the zest from a whole lime and half of a lemon.
Then I spooned the batter into the prepared paper lined pans and put them in the oven.

They came just fine with a nice pale green color.


While they were cooling, I mixed up the frosting.
It wasn't very green, so I added some food coloring to it. (Mostly some green but also a couple drops of blue to make it darker than the cupcakes)

Despite the amount of flour and butter in the frosting, it was still a little soft and tended to spread. But for the most part it stayed on top of the cupcakes.
(I've since found out that the frosting holds in place better after it's been chilled in the fridge for a bit, but it's a little harder to spread evenly)


Once they were all frosted, I got the garnishes ready.
I used "very cherry", "watermelon" and "peach" Jelly Bellys for the eyes and "Zappin' Apple" sour punch straws for the tentacles.


and made a few to get the look I was going for.


Then I left Hotness to finish them for me while I jumped into the shower to get ready.


They were VERY moist cupcakes and only had a hint of citrus flavor to them. (Less than I'd have preferred, but at least I didn't go overboard and make them too "lemony")
The cup cakes were a hit and went very well with the punch that was served


as well as the cake


The baby shower, itself, was a total blast and we all had a great time.
We all look foward to the "geekling" when she makes her appearance to the world next month.


1 things people had to say:

Elwood said...

The cupcakes were most delicious. :)