Oct 8, 2008

Still Slogging Along

Death hasn't yet gotten it's icy grip around my neck, so fortunately I'm still alive but also still sicker than I'd like to be after 3 days of this crap.

I made it into work today. Mostly because despite how I'm feeling, I still wanted to pick up comics tonight and I didn't think it would be fair to show up at the shop for my weekly 'fix' if I didn't even make it into work.
But also because the longer I'm away from work, the more crap I gotta deal with when I get back. I figured two days worth is about all I can muster the energy to battle to get caught up.
It's been kind of slow, so I'm mostly up-to-speed with everything on my desk now. Yippee.
I want to thank the generic DayQuil I'm dosed-up on for getting me this far today.

I guess my other goal is to spread my germs throughout the office. That way, all the naysayers who didn't think I was really sick will have a taste of my sweet, congested vengence.

While I was couch-ridden, I watched a bunch of movies.
In no particular order, this is what I saw as well as my personal reviews:

Pale Rider
I'm not a big 'western genre' movie fan, but every now and then I find one a really like. This is one of them. Is the Preacher an angel of vengence sent to help the poor miners, or is he a tired gunslinger who just happens along? Who cares! It's got Clint Eastwood with his steely eyes shooting up the bad guys.

The Notorious Bettie Page
I really liked this movie. If you are familiar with who Bettie was, then this is a great movie to get a little background on her. Some T&A, but tastefuly done.

Ghost Rider
I liked this movie when it came out, and I still like it. Not much in the way of Oscar-winning performances but what do you really expect from a leather-clad skeleton with a flaming skull, riding a motorcycle and dispensing fiery justice on evildoers? Good movie for watching when you're sick on the couch.

Ninja Checkmate
A busboy learns the art of Chess Boxing to avenge his father's death at the hands of the Ghost Face Killer (yup! that's where the rapper got his name).
I'm not going to say it was the best kung-fu movie ever, but it did have it's moments. Plus it had a cameo of Siu Tien Yuen who was Jackie Chan's uncle / teacher in Drunken Master.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch
An young East German man has a botched sex-change operation so he can move to the U.S. with his American G.I. lover (hence the "angry inch"), only to have his lover leave him on the day the Berlin Wall came down.
He then forms a rock band.
Lots of poignant moments as Hedwig describes how he feels in the world as not being complete without someone to love, but not really knowing who he, himself, really is.
In a similar vein as Rocky Horror Picture Show, but not nearly as campy. Lots of good music and the story is well told.
I've seen the movie now 3 or 4 times and the stage production once. (It was playing in Calgary last year but I didn't get a chance to see it then)
It's hard to describe this movie and make it sound like you'd WANT to see it, but it really is good and the stage production was incredible. Worth watching at least once.

The Machine Girl
What's NOT to like about this movie?!?
An amputeed Japanese school-girl with a machine gun on her arm, shooting up Yakuza ninjas.
Lots of blood, lots of bad acting, lots of fighting scenes.
Unfortunately I fell asleesp about half-way through, but I've seen it once before so I knew how it ended.

Until next time......

1 things people had to say:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are back among the living.