Mar 8, 2009

The Breakfast Club II: Mandate For A "Man Date"

Hello there!
Yesterday morning I got up super early (WHY?!? Every weekend it happens. I wake up around 5:30 - 6:00 a.m. and can't go back to sleep!) and putzed around the house until heading into town to meet up with friends.

A group of my non-comic peers was getting together to have breakfast and spend some "guy time" (read: sausage-fest) before going to see "The Watchmen" that afternoon.

The five of us met up at the Grill to catch up and give crap to one another, as we ate a H-U-G-E breakfast and drank a lot of coffee before going to watch a 2-1/2 hour movie. (We're smart like that)
It was fun, as some of us hadn't gotten together since camping this past summer.

After we had finished eating, but while we were still sitting around, Hotness dropped by to say "hi" before going to visit her favorite coffee shop and see her friends there.
We were there for quite a while and noticed that it was getting close to time for us to leave and get to the theater, so we paid our bill and headed off.

Getting to the theater, I was surprised to see that the parking lot wasn't that full and there wasn't a line for tickets.
I had purchased all our tickets the previous Tuesday so that we could slide right in without waiting.
We got in, found our seats and.... were only joined by maybe 15 other people.
It was weird. I really expected a lot more people to be there, since this movie was hyped-up so much. But it turned out to be rather low-key, which was also nice as there wasn't a lot of distraction.

I really enjoyed the movie, although having read the book I found myself anticipating what was going to happen next which was kind of annoying (for myself).
I knew going in who the characters were, what they would do and why they would do it so nothing was surprising to me. But the fact that the director stayed as close to the original source material was amazing. It was like watching the book come to life.
My non-comic friends who went really enjoyed it as they had never read the graphic novel, so it was a brand new story experience for them.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this again, and especially when the DVD comes out and they can weave in the extra story components that wouldn't fit into the theatrical release.

After the movie, we all head back to Imperfect's house for a bit until it started snowing and then headed home.

The remainder of the day was pretty uneventful.
-----------------------------------
This morning, woke up early AGAIN. Arrgh!

I did some dishes, finished up a project I was doing for an ECCC guest (yay! finished!) and starting making breakfast for Hotness.

Since she was out of town for Valentine's, I picked today to make up for not having her here.
I made heart-shaped pancakes, a heart-shaped piece of cinnamon toast, scrambled egg and bacon. All served on a big, red, heart-shaped plate along with coffee.
After she'd eaten, I gave her the card I'd gotten and she opened her present. (Which is a sexy little thing and I'm not going to tell you about it. Let your imagine wander....)

Then we just kind of did our own thing until around noon, when we drove into the "big city" for our first volunteer meeting for this year's convention.
It was mostly just laying some groundwork out and getting to know who's going to be working at the show this time around.
We'll have another meeting in a couple of weeks to assign jobs, get our T-shirts and do some pre-show bag stuffing.

After the meeting, we came back to our hometown where we met up and had dinner with one of our neighbors.
Then it was home to watch an episode of "Buffy" before falling asleep on the couch.

We are such party animals.

1 things people had to say:

Dr. Zoltar said...

I haven't had a chance to see Watchmen yet, but I did pick up the graphic novel on Sunday for 30% off at Borders. And I made sure to get the recent printing with the updated colors.

Wish we could have been at the ECCC meeting. But glad we didn't miss too much. We'll be sure to make the next one to see who the red shirts are this year.

So, do you mind sharing what some of your ECCC guest projects are?